[IP] Collateral Basket Change Proposal #2 Mainnet

Summary

Remove low liquidity, and low yield assets from the hyUSD basket and replace them with scalable, higher yield and liquid assets.

Current Basket:
13.5% fUSDC - Flux USDC.
36.5% Convex/Curve eUSD+FRAXBP pool.
25% sDAI - DAI Savings Rate.
25% Morpho Aave V2 USDT pool.

New Basket:
33% Compound V3 USDC
33% Morpho Aave V2 USDT pool.
33% crvUSD USDC curve/convex.

Abstract

Morpho:
Morpho is an on-chain peer-to-peer layer on top of lending pools. The Morpho Aave V2 USDT pool utilizes the Aave protocol, specifically the USDT pool. The proposed proposal, if enacted, would increase the collateral basket that is occupied with the Morpho Aave V2 USDT pool from 25% to 33%.

Problem Statement

The current basket for hyUSD contains 25% of Morpho Aave V2 USDT pool. We are striving to increase the yield in the hyUSD collateral basket. Given the proposed adjustments in the hyUSD collateral basket. The additional allocation will come from reducing the Convex portion of the collateral basket from 36.5% to 33%, the 3.5% will be added to the 25% of Morpho Aave V2 USDT pool. The missing 5.5% allocation will come from 13.5% Flux USDC(fUSDC) and the 25% of sDAI from the collateral basket. This totals 38.5%, of which 33% will be used elsewhere. The additional 5% will go to the Morpho Aave V2 USDT pool, totalling to 33%.

Convex:
Convex allows Curve Finance liquidity providers to earn trading fees and claim boosted CRV without locking CRV themselves. Convex is a protocol that is currently being used in the hyUSD collateral basket. The proposed proposal, if enacted, would swap out the 36.5% of the collateral basket that is occupied with the Convex eUSD+FRAXBP Curve pool and replace it with 33% of the Convex crvUSD+USDC Curve pool.

Problem Statement

The current basket for hyUSD contains 36.5% Convex eUSD+FRAXBP Curve pool. The rewards streamed to the eUSD+FRAXBP pool are largely reliant on Reserve as well as the TVL is relatively small compared to other options. If we were to switch to the crvUSD+USDC pool on Convex we believe this does two things. First it removes the need for Reserve to continue providing the incentives through their vote weight. Secondly, as of writing this, the TVL of the crvUSD+USDC pool on Convex is 19m whereas the TVL of the eUSD+FRAXBP pool on Convex is 5.4m.

Compound:
Compound enables supplying of crypto assets as collateral in order to borrow the base asset. Accounts can also earn interest by supplying the base asset(USDC) to the protocol. The proposed proposal, if enacted, would swap out the 13.5% Flux USDC(fUSDC) and the 25% of sDAI from the collateral basket. That 38.5% of the collateral basket would be replaced with 33% of the Compound V3 USDC pool. The additional 5.5% allocation would be added to the Morpho Aave V2 USDT pool.

Problem Statement

Flux Finance:
The current basket for hyUSD contains 13.5% of Flux USDC(fUSDC). The problem with Flux Finance USDC is that borrow rates don’t scale with utilization which could potentially be a problem in the future. Keeping fUSDC in the basket might limit scalability and therefore should be removed from the basket.

Savings DAI:
The current basket for hyUSD contains 25% of Savings DAI(sDAI), which yields 5% APY. The reason to remove this asset from the basket is that while 5% is great yield, we believe we can add assets to the collateral basket that equal or better the risk for sDAI but also have greater yield.

Rationale

Morpho:
Morpho adds a peer-to-peer layer on top of Aave allowing lenders and borrowers to be matched more efficiently with better interest rates. When no matching opportunity exists, funds flow directly through to the underlying protocol(in this case Aave).

Morpho has an excellent reputation for security. Lending positions are presumptively less risky than LP positions for their greater simplicity (just a single asset). Morpho has been live for over a year with audits completed by Pessimistic on July 25, 2022 as well as Spearbit on May 9, 2022 with several audits being completed in Beta.

Convex:
Convex is already used within the hyUSD basket for the eUSD+FRAXBP pool on Curve. Convex allows liquidity providers to earn trading fees and claim boosted CRV without locking CRV themselves. Liquidity providers can receive boosted CRV and liquidity mining rewards with minimal effort.

Convex Finance has had an external Audit performed by MixBytes Prior to launch, aside from the DNS attack where their Domain was stolen there haven’t been any smart contract vulnerabilities.

Convex is already used within the hyUSD basket and simply switching the underlying pool from eUSD+FRAXBP to crvUSD+USDC will not add any more complexity to the hyUSD basket.

Compound:
Compound enables supplying of crypto assets as collateral in order to borrow the base asset. Accounts can also earn interest by supplying the base asset(USDC) to the protocol. We believe Compound to be a bluechip protocol within DeFi. The Compound protocol is already used in the collateral basket for USDC+ on ETH as well as hyUSD on Base, and therefore we can see that it will be an overall positive to the hyUSD basket on ETH.

The security of the Compound protocol is a high priority; the development team, alongside third-party auditors and consultants, have invested considerable effort to create a protocol that is safe and dependable.

Consideration needs to be given to the new asset(crvUSD) being introduced into the basket as well as the new protocol(Compound). The other notable point is that updating the percentages drastically will require several auctions in order to do so. However, when the upgrade is significant, which we believe this is, it will be worth the gas and time.

There is an overall issue with minting cost still being relatively high on ETH. However, by reducing the number of items in the basket from 4 to 3 we are also reducing the cost of the Zap. This could potentially allow for retail to see hyUSD on ETH as more affordable and have a positive impact on growth of the Market Cap.

Risks

By removing low liquidity, and low yield assets from the hyUSD collateral basket, we believe that we are improving the overall yield and scalability of hyUSD. We believe we are doing so in a way that doesn’t increase the risk profile.

We are introducing a new protocol(Compound) into the collateral basket but this protocol has been seen twice before in other RTokens. We are also introducing a new asset(crvUSD) into the collateral basket, but we believe this asset, if rated by Bluechip, would receive a very satisfactory score.

Overall we believe we are increasing the yield, improving scalability, and making hyUSD cheaper to mint.

• Yes, I am in favor of this proposal
  • No, I am against this proposal
0 voters
3 Likes

Makes sense to me. Compound is a well-respected project, obviously so I don’t see a lot of risk here. The upside seems to outweigh the risks imo.

2 Likes

Integrating crvUSD looks solid, great DeFi project with a good team behind it.

And something very positive is the reduction of the transaction cost for mint hyUSD by reducing the number of assets to 3, given the price of gwei these days, it is something very well received.

2 Likes

Makes sense to me. Nice to go to 3 collaterals as well because minting cost will drop.

Seems like a good balance of high yield, risk, and minting cost all while improving liquidity of the underlying.

2 Likes

Summary

Remove low liquidity, and low yield assets from the hyUSD basket and replace them with scalable, higher yield and liquid assets.

Current Basket:

13.5% fUSDC - Flux USDC.
36.5% Convex/Curve eUSD+FRAXBP pool.
25% sDAI - DAI Savings Rate.
25% Morpho Aave V2 USDT pool.

New Basket:

33% Compound V3 USDC
33% Convex/Curve eUSD+FRAXBP pool.
33% sDAI

Abstract

Morpho:
Morpho is an on-chain peer-to-peer layer on top of lending pools. The Morpho Aave V2 USDT pool utilizes the Aave protocol, specifically the USDT pool. The proposed proposal, if enacted, would remove Morpho Aave V2 USDT pool from the collateral basket.

Convex:
The proposed proposal, if enacted, would decrease the Convex eUSD+FRAXBP Curve pool part of the collateral basket from 36.5% to 33%. This is a simple rebalancing and we believe 3 assets sharing 33.3% would be the most scalable.

Savings DAI:
The current basket for hyUSD contains 25% of Savings DAI(sDAI). As of today March 8th 2024 the sDAI APY went from 5% to 15%(see here). Therefore we believe that increasing this portion of the basket from 25% to 33% will increase the overall yield of hyUSD without increasing the risk.

Compound:
Compound enables supplying of crypto assets as collateral in order to borrow the base asset. Accounts can also earn interest by supplying the base asset(USDC) to the protocol. The proposed proposal, if enacted, would allow 33% of the basket to be occupied with the Compound V3 USDC pool.

Problem Statement

Morpho:
The current basket for hyUSD contains 25% of Morpho Aave V2 USDT pool. We are striving to increase the yield in the hyUSD collateral basket. The Yield is very volatile for this part of the basket and for that reason we believe it should be removed.

Flux Finance:
The current basket for hyUSD contains 13.5% of Flux USDC(fUSDC). The problem with Flux Finance USDC is that borrow rates don’t scale with utilization which could potentially be a problem in the future. Keeping fUSDC in the basket might limit scalability and therefore should be removed from the basket.

Rationale

Compound:
Compound enables supplying of crypto assets as collateral in order to borrow the base asset. Accounts can also earn interest by supplying the base asset(USDC) to the protocol. We believe Compound to be a bluechip protocol within DeFi. The Compound protocol is already used in the collateral basket for USDC+ on ETH as well as hyUSD on Base, and therefore we can see that it will be an overall positive to the hyUSD basket on ETH.

The security of the Compound protocol is a high priority; the development team, alongside third-party auditors and consultants, have invested considerable effort to create a protocol that is safe and dependable.

Consideration needs to be given to the new protocol(Compound). The other notable point is that updating the percentages drastically will require several auctions in order to do so. However, when the upgrade is significant, which we believe this is, it will be worth the gas and time.

There is an overall issue with minting cost still being relatively high on ETH. However, by reducing the number of items in the basket from 4 to 3 we are also reducing the cost of the Zap. This could potentially allow for retail to see hyUSD on ETH as more affordable and have a positive impact on growth of the Market Cap.

Risks

By removing low liquidity, and low yield assets from the hyUSD collateral basket, we believe that we are improving the overall yield and scalability of hyUSD. We believe we are doing so in a way that doesn’t increase the risk profile.

We are introducing a new protocol(Compound) into the collateral basket but this protocol has been seen twice before in other RTokens.

Overall we believe we are increasing the yield, improving scalability, and making hyUSD cheaper to mint.

• Yes, I am for this proposal change
  • No, I am against this proposal change
0 voters
3 Likes

We talked about the basket change at the Governors Guild meeting today and all were in agreement that the new basket proposal by Tom is excellent and should be made with haste!

4 Likes

Pretty much in agreement with everyone else here. Lower fees, lower risk and a higher apr make the decision pretty simple in my opinion.

1 Like

Seems pretty straightforward. I’m all for higher overall yield and greater scalability.

1 Like

Let´s keep sDAI in the mix at least as long as DSR is elevated at 15%.

3 Likes

I actually think some people might be more willing to hold this if convex was dropped for aave/usdt or similar.

two reasons: more predictable, less gassy on mints/redeems.

in favor of existing one because i believe its an improvement, but thoughts for the future.

Yea, very true. I think my main concern in the near term will be sDAI keeping APY high enough. There is a vote live right now decreasing sDAI from 15% to 13% APY and it looks like there is a lot of support in favor of this change. I think I will be watching that, if APY drops below 10%, I think I will look for support for a new basket proposal.

But I will also be looking at the convex part of the basket as well. I think AAVE USDT or similar is a great suggestion.

1 Like

Sounds great and good thinking imo.

Hi! Firstly, I wanted to congratulate the High Yield USD team for the high quality of their written communications. In an effort to help governance proposal clarity and following the reccommended naming conventions published in the forum by StableLab, we modified the title of the proposal to clearly display [RFC] (between square brackets) at the beginning of the title. We encourage the hyUSD team to adopt this convention to keep a good [RFC] and [IP] record track.

Reccommended proposal guidelines: Naming convention for RFCs and IPs

In addition, this proposal has been published for onchcain voting and passed with majority here:

1 Like